Home Theater Chairs
Whether you’re shopping for couches, dining chairs, bar stools, or even beach chairs, seating choices are subjective. At Bravo AV, we understand this and aim to provide you with beautiful chairs that will keep you and your family comfortable over the course of a movie marathon.
A major component in the enjoyment you receive from your time in your theater is the chairs in which you sit. Theater chairs must be well made and comfortable. Quality theater chairs are an investment and will provide years of enjoyment. People carry a unique standard for comfort based on their individual preferences. When you work with Bravo AV on your theater, we will help you sort through the vast range of options and guide you to a selection that is exactly what you want. We encourage customers to carefully consider their decision on chair selection because they have such a significant impact on your viewing satisfaction.
What are home theater seats?
Home theater seats are specifically designed for viewing content in a personal home theater setting. Most home theater seats share these features:
- ● Reclining lounger with a flip out foot rest.
- ● A shared armrest between each seat.
- ● A cup holder built into the chairs armrest.
- ● Customization of: chair width, firmness, fabric, color, cushioning, etc.
- ● Additional upgrades like storage compartments, snack trays, and even electric motors to recline the chair.
There are roughly seven features a buyer should consider when making a home theater chair selection. These features are discussed below along with some questions and considerations:
Does the form and coloring fit in with my theater styling? Do you want the chairs to stand out or blend into the room?
Ideally try to work directly with a company that is able to customize basically every feature of the chair. Chair design geometry, cushioning, fabric, width, and reclining mechanisms, among other options, should be hand selected by you. Most companies do not have the capacity to offer you this kind of customization, which can cause issues if a certain stock feature is not what you are looking for. The company we work with, discussed later in the article, offers complete customization to your specifications.
In general, seats manufactured domestically have high quality construction, but just like cars, some are better. A quality build will keep your chair feeling brand new even after years of use. Reclining mechanisms built with hardened heavy gauge steel and quality bearings and springs will work better over a longer period. The seat bottom should be supported by steel springs, sometimes called sinuous springs. These will last longer than webbed straps that may sag or lose their elasticity over time. The upright back cushion should use several layers of materials for firm, but not hard, support.
If you were traveling to Europe in this seat, would you arrive refreshed? The chair should provide comfort and easy viewing when you are all the way reclined or sitting in the locked upright position.
Recliners vs. Incliners
What is the difference? A recliner, well, reclines. The back reclines, the footrest rises and your bottom stays in one place. An incliner, also known as a wall-hugger or wall-saver, moves your body forward as the footrest rises. Recliners cannot be placed near a wall as the back can extend outward 12” or more. Incliners finish less than 4” from the back of the chair allowing it to be backed up close to a wall.
Leather vs. Leathertouch
Do you want that genuine leather feel or a synthetic fabric?
Quality chairs range from $2,000 to $6,000 each depending on model and option choices. If you choose to buy from our vendor, after selecting the chair style you like and determining all the options, a 65% non-refundable deposit is required. Since all chairs are made to order they typically take two months to fabricate.
At Bravo we sell Fortress Chairs
We sell Fortress Chairs for the following reasons:
- ● They offer value to our customers
- ● They build a well designed and manufactured chair
- ● They are durable and provide years of use
- ● They are very comfortable
- ● They are custom made to meet your wishes
- ● They have many models of chairs which allows you to customize or select:
- ● Chair Width
- ● Chair Height
- ● Chair Firmness
- ● Fabric (multiple families/grades of leather)
- ● Motorization
- ● Heat and Massage
- ● Custom Consoles
- ● Chaise Lounge Option
- ● Tray Tables
- ● Metal Cup Holders available in Three Finishes
We are not alone in our confidence in Fortress. CE Pro magazine’s annual survey ranked Fortress chairs as the number one home theater chair. Over our years of experience with them, we’ve found some features that we and our clients really like about Fortress:
- ● All seats custom made to order
- ● Numerous widths and heights to fit any body type
- ● Many different models of chairs
- ● Power recline option
- ● Wedge arms for curved rows
- ● Custom Chaise Lounges, Tray Tables, Consoles
- ● Finest furniture quality plywood, CAD-CAM engineered, with precision joinery and case hardening springs
- ● Upholstery from the nation’s top textile suppliers
- ● All rows pre-assembled and inspected in their factory
How do I layout the room?
Once you select your chairs, Bravo designers will use its technical knowledge and experience to arrange your seating in a layout that achieves your seating goals with minimal negative impact on viewing or listening quality. When possible, we adhere to THX Standards for seating layout design, which helps mitigate possible surround sound quality degradation due to sound reflections and refractions. We will present you detailed, dimensioned seating layout drawings for you to approve before we move forward with installation.
A Cool Option: Butt Shakers
Often referred to as “Butt Shakers”, Sonic Transducers are designed to vibrate the chair in sequence with the low frequency portion of the audio track and offer an additional level of audio immersion. These devices would vibrate during onscreen explosions, the foot fall of a TRex, or the passing of a roaring jet. The product consists of an electronic device that attaches to the frame of the chair or is placed on the riser, with an amplifier attached to your audio components. Sonic Transducers provide that subwoofer rumble without shaking the whole house, which makes it attractive for those trying to keep neighboring rooms quiet.
The Theater Seating Experience at Bravo AV
When you buy chairs for Bravo AV you buy with confidence.
- ● We are happy to work with you and your interior designer to find the right chair.
- ● We are experts in theater design and will make sure each chair has a clear sight line of the movie screen. If possible given your seating goals and the size of the room, we will position chairs to ensure the best quality audio delivery to each listener.
- ● We have Fortress chairs in our showroom, so feel free to stop by, check it out and pick our brains about chair selection!
For additional resources please visit our website’s Knowledge Center. Here you will find several
articles on home theaters. Additionally, please check out our gallery of home theater photos.
There you can find a series of 19 photos that chronical a home theater install from start to
Contact Tom Curnin at 908-953-0555 or Tom @ BravoAV.com. Your Professional AV Expert. Tom Curnin, the owner of Bravo AV, is a CEDIA Professional Designer, THX certified professional home theater Level 1 and Home Acoustic Alliance trained to Level II.
Bravo AV is a HTA (Home Technology Association) Certified Install Firm